Ask the Pros

How do I file my return electronically?

Visit your authorized service provider at Tax Edge. They can send your individual income tax return to the Canada Revenue Agency directly from the software used to prepare the tax return.

What happens if I don’t file my return on time?

Penalties can apply to those not filing a tax return on time. If you owe tax, the late filing penalty is five per cent of your balance owing, plus one per cent of your balance owing for each full month your return is late, to a maximum of 12 months.

How do I tell the CRA about a change of name or address?

Send to your tax centre a signed letter, login to or call CRA at 1-800-959-8281.

How long should I keep your income tax records?

You should maintain all your financial records and supporting documents for six years.

What is the deadline to file my tax return?

The deadline for individuals to file their tax returns is April 30 of every calendar year. The deadline for self-employed people to file tax returns is June 15th of every calendar year. Deadlines for businesses vary depending on the year end chosen by the business.

What if I don’t have all of my slips and receipts?

We’ll help you file your return on time, even if some slips or receipts are missing. We can help you make adjustments after the return is filed.

How can I check the status of my refund?

To check the status of your tax return and any possible refunds, you can call the Tax Information Phone Service (TIPS) at 1-800-267-6999. You can also log into My Account on MYCRA or call for individual income tax inquiries at 1-800-959-8281.

What documents do I need to get my taxes done?

When coming to Tax Edge, or any accounting firm to get your taxes done, you will need:

  • All T slips (T4, T5, T3, T4E,T4AP,T4OAS, T4A, ETC)
  • RRSP/RRIF slips
  • Charitable donations receipts
  • Medical expenses receipts
  • Child fitness receipts
  • Child arts receipts
  • Tuition (t2202A slips) receipts

Do I have to file a tax return?

You have to file a return if any of the following apply:

  • You have to pay tax.
  • You were sent a request by Canada Revenue Agency to file.
  • You and your spouse or common-law partner elected to split pension income.
  • You have to repay any of your Old Age Security (OAS) or Employment Insurance benefits.
  • You want to claim a refund.
  • You want the GST/HST credit.
  • You or your spouse or common law partner want to begin or continue receiving Canada Child Tax Benefit payments.
  • You receive the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) or allowance benefits under the OAS program.

Ask Your Own Question